Glasgow mom ‘tries to help’ advocates for Lauren’s law after asthma attack kills teenage boss at work


A heartbroken mother from Dennistoun has started a petition to have inhalers included in first aid after her daughter died of an asthma attack at work.

Lauren Reid was just 19 when she suffered an asthma attack in 2020 while she was chef at Gin71, which degenerated into cardiac arrest.

Her mother, Elaine Cunningham, was forced to make the tragic decision to shut down Lauren’s survival machine days later.

Elaine has now launched a campaign to pass “Lauren’s Law” which would allow the unprescribed storage of salbutamol inhalers in commercial kitchens.

Sign up for News bulletins live from Glasgow for more titles straight to your inbox



Elaine says Lauren was a shy girl.

The petition, produced in partnership with UniChef, has already reached over 11,000 signatures and two million views on Tiktok.

“It was an idea I started when she was in the hospital,” Elaine said Glasgow live. “If there had been an inhaler, Lauren would have taken it herself. It was the one and only time she was without. The law isn’t just about staff, it’s about customers, too. anyone who needs an inhaler who may have forgotten theirs.

“How do I put down on paper how I would feel if the law were passed? I would feel humiliated, that’s how I feel right now.

“It’s going faster and faster and people are now listening to my little girl’s story and remembering their inhalers.

“Sometimes I would still get bitter and think, why me and my baby? But I don’t think like that anymore. It keeps me going.

“I’m just a mom, I’m trying to help.”



law laurens
Lauren worked as a chef for Gin71.

Speaking of Lauren’s asthma, Elaine said, “She had been in pain since birth, but Lauren said she was fine the day she had the attack.

“Got a phone call at 9pm and thought it was her but it was her boss asking me to bring her inhalers. I thought they were mocking me and she was just sitting drinking. a drink with her buddies after work, but she the boss said it was very serious.

“The last thing I heard was she screaming in the background ‘Mom, I’m panicking.’



law laurens
She died of an asthma attack which led to cardiac arrest.

At that point, Lauren collapsed and suffered cardiac arrest. Her manager tried to resuscitate her with CPR, and when she was taken to hospital, a pulse was found, but Lauren had suffered permanent brain damage from the lack of oxygen.

“I had taken a cab into town. I could see the ambulances and I knew she was in there and I just yelled, ‘Where’s my weaned one? How do I get to my weaned one? ‘

“We got his pulse back, but I was told it was too late.”



Laurens Law would put inhalers on child rescuers.
Laurens Law would put inhalers on child rescuers.

The petition reads: “In 2014, the Human Medicines Act was amended so that schools could keep emergency stocks of salbutamol inhalers without a prescription.

“Asthma is on the rise in the UK and we believe adults with asthma working in high-risk commercial kitchens should receive similar life-saving assistance.



law laurens
Lauren was a longtime Rangers fan and had a ticket to the game for the weekend after her death.

“In 2020, Chef Lauren Reid tragically suffered an asthma attack at work. That day Lauren did not have her inhaler with her and a few days later she sadly passed away. he asthma emergency had been there, she might have always been with us now.

“If high-risk commercial kitchens had the same rights as schools to support their employees in an emergency, we believe Lauren would not have died in vain.”

To sign the petition, click here.


Source link

Previous The Ministry of Health investigates the mask scam | Rajkot News
Next NMS Capital announces partnership and investment in DirectMed Parts & Service

No Comment

Leave a reply

Your email address will not be published.