Below is a list of investments healthcare systems have made in digital health startups and internal innovation efforts in 2021.
- Ascension Ventures, the St. Louis-based healthcare venture capital arm of Ascension, closed a $ 285 million strategic venture capital fund, bringing the company’s total assets to more than $ 1 billion. The new fund is backed by 13 healthcare system partners and is Ascension Ventures fifth venture capital fund.
Ascension ‘Ventures also invested in Strive Health, a healthcare technology company providing kidney care, in a $ 140 million Series B funding round.
- Northwell Health, based in New Hyde Park, NY, has awarded $ 1.3 million to four employee-led innovation projects as part of the 2021 Healthcare System Innovation Challenge.
The automated virtual care and communication platform Conversa increased its Series B funding round on Jan. 19 to $ 20 million, from $ 12 million last June, led by Northwell Health Ventures. Northwell co-led Conversa’s Series B funding round alongside Builders VC. The venture capital arm of University Hospitals is also an investor.
- The Mayo Clinic, based in Rochester, Minnesota, led an $ 8.2 million funding round for TripleBlind, a digital data sharing and privacy platform.
Mayo Clinic and Kaiser Permanente announced their joint strategic investment in Medically Home Group, a Boston-based technology services company that manages inpatient inpatient programs.
- Kaiser Permanente Ventures, based in Oakland, Calif., Participated in a $ 65 million funding round for Vesta Healthcare, a group platform of healthcare providers and digital clinics.
- Providence’s digital health spin-off company DexCare has closed a $ 20 million investment round backed by Renton, the innovation arm of the Wash-based healthcare system. and Kaiser Permanente Ventures.
- The Cleveland Clinic has launched a new infectious disease research center through a $ 500 million innovation collaboration with the city of Cleveland and JobsOhio. The Cleveland Clinic will provide $ 300 million in funds while JobsOhio will invest $ 200 million.
- Ohio State University and Nationwide Children’s Hospital, both based in Columbus, have joined a new billion-dollar innovation district in Columbus focused on viruses, pathogens, stem cell therapies and research on cancer. Ohio State will invest $ 650 million, Nationwide Children’s Hospital will invest $ 350 million, and JobsOhio will invest $ 100 million in the project.
- Intermountain bought Classic Air Medical, an air medical transport company, to strengthen its telehealth and digital services. The acquisition will allow providers to expand their telehealth offerings while facilitating the transportation of patients in rural areas to the medical facilities best equipped to meet their needs.
- Miami-based Baptist Health South Florida has launched a new Health Technology Innovation Fellowship to foster the development of new products and interventions in healthcare. It will match a $ 1 million grant from the Knight Foundation to fund the scholarship.
- Baptist Health and Mercy Fort Smith, based in Little Rock, Ark., Have invested $ 1 million in a health sciences innovation center for students in the Fort Smith, Ark area.
- Baltimore-based LifeBridge Health has partnered with Healthworx, the innovation and investment arm of CareFirst BlueCross BlueShield, to launch a new incubator, called 1501 Health, which will provide start-ups developing healthcare technologies and innovations health care up to $ 100,000 investment.
- OSF HealthCare, based in Peoria, Ill., Participated in a $ 43 million fundraiser for Current Health, a remote care management platform used by various health systems, including Mount Sinai Health New York System and Geisinger Health, based in Danville, PA.
- The Pittsburgh-based Allegheny Health Network Innovation Center, AlphaLab Health has welcomed seven companies into the first class of its Business Accelerator. The companies receive an investment of up to $ 100,000 in exchange for a convertible note granting up to 2% of the capital of the company.
© Copyright ASC COMMUNICATIONS 2021. Interested in linking or reprinting this content? View our policies by clicking here.